Re: [solo2sc] Safety note

To: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [solo2sc] Safety note
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:48:20 -0700
On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:27:37AM -0700, Donald R McKenna wrote:
> Without having any knowledge of the above event, I can't comment on it. But,
> in the last few weeks I've been told, by participants who attended events,
> both at Mather and 3-Com where stock-class cars were reaching speeds
> approching/exceeding 90 mph. When everything goes well it's a real "treat"
> to explore that speed area but, those kinds of speeds just not smart.

Are you sure it was 3Com?  The last event there was in March!  I do
remember that at round 4 (I think) there was a fast straight with a
wide open 3-cone slalom in the middle, where I had to briefly shift
into 3rd (that happens at 54MPH indicated).  Coincidentally, this was
the same event with the aforementioned "ski jump", which was placed at
the beginning of the straight.  That straight was a little spooky,
especially with the damp conditions.

For comparison, at the Mather event I not only shifted into third but
hit the rev limiter (about 75MPH indicated).  In a Miata.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94