Re: [solo2sc] Safety note

To: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [solo2sc] Safety note
From: "Badertscher, Andy" <AndyB@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:29:33 -0700
    I just happened to be one of the stock cars that exceeded 90mph at the
event at Mather a few weekends ago (F-stock Z28). Its also might be worth it
to note this was not an SCCA sponsered event. I wont comment on the exact
speed I was hitting but lets just say it was well in excess of 90mph .
However how the course was laid out I found it to be extremely safe for the
speed we where hitting. There where no corners that  could upset the car in
the high speed sections. just a couple really wide sweepers with nice brake
zone.Instead of the course being dangerours it was extremely safe and at no
time did I feel safety was being compromised. I only saw 1 spin at the
fastest part of the track, other than some nasty cones marks on the car the
car slide safely off course and was stilll far from anythign solid or the
dirt. So high speeds can and have been safely obtained at a local autocross
event. I even made a point to work the high speed part of the course for I
can see how well other cars where coming thru the section. The whole time I
was chasing cones not a single dramtic event happen. There was more drama
and spins in the following slower section than in the fast section. It seem
the cars spent more time slowing down from those speeds than anything else.
I would love to see that course again sometime in the future and really hope
the event organisers can pull it off again in a safe manner.

  As far as the event Ed commented on. After the first car wrecked that
would be more than enough for me to call it quits for the day unless the
driver foolishly wrecked the car. After the 2nd car crashed the event chairs
should have redone the course or called it quits for the days. Its just not
worth it.

  Andy Badertscher