Re: Hot Stock Cars in 2002

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Stock Cars in 2002
From: "Boris Elpiner" <boris@elpiner.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:39:23 -0700
OK. I'll add my .02c to Andy's picks. To keep things more entertaining I'll
add some new cars that were not classed yet or not even in production. Of
course it's pure speculation on my part, but it's all just for fun, isn't
it? -)

> SS - *Z06*, M3 owners better hope somebody good develops one, gets their
ass
> kicked and the car maybe moves down a class

Agree. SS will be Z06 class for a while. Can't see what will be able to
compete with it. Only if Porsche will deliver that rumored 300+HP Boxster
Coupe...

> AS - *Boxster S* is overall winner if it stays there, C4 and S2K's will be
> competitive sometimes

I think it will be nice tight fight between all 3. Don't know about NSX.
When E46 M3 will be moved down to AS, it might be competitive there also.
:-)

> BS - *Boxster*, 968, 944S2, MR2T

I would add Z3 Coupe 3.0 to the list. Also E36 M3 was able to compete well
in AS before Boxster and S2K showed up. It still can do well on some
courses.

> CS - Miata, *Spyder*

Is it a good place for the new Mini Cooper S?  It has the right power, size,
weight, but driving wheels are on the wrong end of the car:-)

> DS - *E30 M3*, Type R, IS300, Audi TT, Eclipse, Audi S4

Don't know about IS300. If Derek keeps at it, it will endup in AS or BS:-)
Seriously, it looks like another class with good variety of cars. M3 will be
a very strong competitor. It may not be easy to find one that is stock
legal, and/or didn't suffer years of abuse. Will the new RS-X will find home
there? How about new IS300 with 6sp?

> ES - *MR2*, 924S, Miata 1.6

Agree. MR2 still the top choice.  Is it still a class for older, "cheap"
sports cars? Maybe non-supercharged MINI can add spice to this class.

> FS - Usual suspects

I still think that NA Supra could do well. Also M5 could be an interesting
alternative.

> GS - Conquest/Starion, Sentra SE-R, BMW 318is/318ti, Neon, Celica ST

Another possible place for Mini S? It could be an overdog here.

> HS - Pick a decent car and put a good driver in it

No clue:-)

Boris.