Solo II Board Hypocrasy

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Solo II Board Hypocrasy
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:12:20 EDT
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

             Many of you don't know me as I retired from Solo II a few years
ago to go road racing. I've been an SCCA member for 23 years and spent most
of that time autocrossing in the SF region in a variety of classes. To my few
friends left I say hello.
             The purpose of my E-mail is to point out the hypocrasy of the
Solo II board. In this months Sports Car I see they want to ban dual disc
clutches in SP because they are not "street drivable" and cars with them
would have to be trailered to events. They also cite cost saying a dual disc
clutch is $1000. First, on my Corvette I have a Mcleod 7# aluminum flywheel,
dual 8" disc clutch ($1300), a custom throw out bearing ($700) and $1000
installation and adjustment cost. Their number is bogus. You aren't going to
see many of these clutches unless they are on serious National level cars
that are usually towed and where there is a lot of money invested in the car
anyway. The point is irrelevant. Unless I've missed a big rule change SP cars
are allowed to remove smog equipment although it is illegal under federal law
and most state law. If you remove the smog equipment you are going to have to
trailer your car. Here is a rule that forces a competitor, especially a
California competitor, to tow their car. A legal street car is at distinct
disadvantage over a smog free towed car
yet the Solo II board says this is alright. Using the same logic they say
using a dual disc clutch is illegal because it would force the competitor to
tow his car. I think the hypocracy is apparent. In 20 years nothing changes
with the Solo II board. It must be all that imbreeding (Rick Brown
excepted!).

            As an aside I thought when I moved from autocross to road racing
I'd run SCCA events. The reality is I've been running nothing but NASA events
and having a ball. The NASA guys are pretty laid back and they put on a good
event. Much to my surprise the level of driving skill in my class is very
high. You have to have trust at road racing speeds. Take my word, spinning at
120mph is not the same at looping it in a parking lot. Quite a few ex SF Solo
II drivers are running with me. Don Campbell is 2nd in points in the CMC
class in his Camaro after he borrowed and blew up Dave Morin's CMC Camaro.
Eric Van Waggenon just got his license and splitting a Mazda with his dad
Fred. Dick Buchen runs often as do Brett and lynn Egan. I see Navid ? (I'm
having a senior moment) in his BMW all the time. I also see a lot of Southern
California autocrossers like Jerry Brown, etc. I'm in the process of
converting my car to run the NASA LA chapter American Iron series. Rules are
simple, full safety gear except fuel cell which is recommended, 275 max
tires, greater than 10 lbs. weight per horsepower ratio (scale and dyno sheet
req'd) and an American car, Camaro, Mustang, Cobra, Viper, Corvette. The
rules are still evolving but these babies are fast! One of these days I'll
come out and run another autocross. I'll see if I can terrify a new group of
people by sliding at 60 mph with locked brakes (ABS failure) right at the
spectators. Then again I don't wan't to go through that again.

                                                                Larry