RE: BIKE CRASH

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: BIKE CRASH
From: Mike Eynon <stingray@onth.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:48:57 -0700
I too frequently experience bouts of increased gravity on a mountain bike.
Inevitably, I seem to 'kiss the dirt' when in the presence of the last
person on the trail I would want to witness my aerobatic fetes.

I think my ultimate was passing two guys on the side of the trail who were
smoking pot (we were up in the Santa Cruz Mountains).  I passed them
screaming down the mountain with a slight glance just to infer slightly that
I thought they were morons for getting high, and then riding very technical
single-track.

After hitting the bottom of the trail, I turned around to head back up the
sme way.  About two-thirds of the way back up, I happened to see my two
pot-smoking buddies heading down, so I opted to pick up the pace a little to
get to a clearing.  Of course... as luck would have it, I was going way to
fast around a corner, in full view of the guys coming down the trail when I
hit a root and proceeded to do a full flip off the edge of the trail with
the bike still attached to my shoes.  The actual act of crashing escaped me
entirely.  I came to with my two buddies standing about 15 feet above me on
the trail debating whether or not I was still alive.

Not wanting to deal with Beavis and Butthead, and not really knowing how
long I was unconscious, I opted to force myself to my feet, and pretend that
there was no pain.  In seeing this, my two new friends decided everything
was 'cool' and decided to resume their ride down the mountain, at which
point I collapsed back into the patch of poison oak that cushioned my flip,
and bled for a little while longer before mustering the strength to climb
back out with my bike.

Mike "Never passed a patch of poison oak I didn't land in" Eynon

98 M3 AS #27