Re: Dirt bagging smokers and spewers

To: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dirt bagging smokers and spewers
From: "Allendorfer, Mike" <mwa96imp@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:32:44 -0700
I will stipulate that your '67 Lotus Elite is a very nice car and quite
valuable.  I will further stipulate that it is driven so seldom that the
emissions are inconsequential. Frankly, I'd love to have one of several '60s
cars that were neat and powerful.  I aso bet that it would have lower
tailpipe emissions than some more modern but poorer maintained cars.  The
car I was refering to is the 62 Caddy or Galaxie 500 w/ 3 bald tires, one
tail light, one head light and 3 underpaid, barely able to keep a roof over
their heads, day laborers, who have to add a quart of oil w/ every fill-up
and cannot afford to fix their car.  This car will pollute more than 500
other cars on the freeway.  The $500 that the "state" will give this person
will only buy him a new set of problems to get used to.  BTW, that $500
doesn't really come from the state.  It's the refineries (Unocal 76 for one)
and power producers looking to buy pollution credits, so they can continue
to pollute w/ impunity.  (gee, we took 1000lbs/day of pollution off the
road)  Also, a Ford engineer (I'm sorry, I can't point you to the reference
right now) said that a 66 Galaxie just sitting in the garage expels more
hydrocarbons as uncaptured gas tank fumes than a modern car driving hundreds
of miles.  I will point you to C&D, Feb  2001, Patrick Bedard's column for
reference on some of this.
http://caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/columns/2001/February/200102_columns
_bedard.xml

I know that the state has a toll free number to report smoking cars.  How
many times have you called it?  The point is that electric cars are a very
poor solution to pollution and modern cars are very efficient at reducing
pollution and giving good performance w/o the help of wrong-headed politicos
mussing the waters w/ reformulated gas, ethanol, electric cars and other
non-solutions.
Mike