Re: Course design

To: Bay_Area_Autocross_List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Course design
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:49:23 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, James Creasy wrote:

> rich,
>
> i had to shut down before the finish in order to be in control of my car to
> make that left turn.  thats just the way it is with a fast car with poor
> brakes.  :)
> a couple of bends before the timing slip person is a good idea and make the
> course there VERY narrow to remind drivers to go slow.  i rode with a first
> timer once that missed seeing the finish and went blasting on through. (at 3
> COM)
>
> -james
> OSP #74

I got to yank the handbrake on a driver during a ride-n-drive at 3Com
several years ago.  Roger the Famous wasn't amused, but hey; we stopped,
which is more than was happening before I did it.

I don't think the potential for cars to lose it at the finish is more of
a safety issue than it is elsewhere on course, except with regard to
proximity to spectators.  We typically provide smooth exits to reward
drivers and avoid splashing the timers, but that's an event management
issue, not a safety one.

I think it's very important when we talk about course design issues to
differentiate between safety issues, event/course management issues, and
personal preferences.  That comment isn't directed at anyone in
particular.

KeS