Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>
Subject: Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: Geoff Mohler <gemohler@www.speedtoys.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:51:14 -0800 (PST)
> Geoff,
>
> Sure it does!  If you register 200 entrants at the same
> slow pace, it takes twice as long!  Two minutes a person,
> you're talking 6 3/4 hours!  And I think our current time
> to register someone gets almost that long now without
> computer problems.  And in summer we get 300.
---
You really think it would take 2 minutes to enter someones name in a
computer?

> I see that you don't show up on SFR points at all in 2001,
> perhaps you are not familiar with actually running a
> big event.
---
Jerry, what you think when youre going to attack me based on
"participation" doesnt concern me. When SFR stops asking for ideas,
I'll stop giving them.  What the hell does my input about ideas..have to
do with my participation?  Would showing up to 50 events in a row make
what I have to say as an idea make it any more valid?  NO!

Just darn well explain in this public forum why you think active
participation has squat to do with trying to help.  Because you made a
clear shot at equating participation with involvement in the region.  And
while that may be true in many position in regional and event management,
it clearly has no basis in -here- as a measure of relevance.  Im a paying
SCCA member, and Ive said nothing to deserve personal criticism about a
point of view about an open topic.  I let thousands of threads pass here,
but rarely do I speak up with what I think.  I guess its OK for the region
to take my yearly dues, but im still not entitled to a simple opinion?

When you decide to start debating ideas instead of arbitrarily discounting
them because someone hasnt participated to -your- liking..then yours will
matter to me or anyone else in the same position.
Youre a great posterchild for not even wanting to pay dues to the SCCA/SFR
region anymore Jerry.  Can you spell "Alienate"?

> Guess you're right, I'm scared of these new ideas, but that's
> what happens when you actually spend time implementing.
---
Dont get into PR as a day job Jerry, and I wont get into database
work..because I dont know it.  I just placed what I thought was an idea,
that Ive seen work in other places.  You surely could have explain why it
wont work here rather than come out both barrels loaded for bear.  I dont
have your experience with it.  Imagine now how people on the list with
similar ideas now feel "Wow, better keep my mouth shut, these people dont
care to hear it anyway".

If you want to discuss it..thats fine, if you dont, thats fine..just that
you have no right to dismiss me and cut me off at the knees for even
trying.

I said anything at all, because I do care.  We both pay our dues even if
we dont participate because we care.

When people stop caring..be afriad.  Its the only thing that keeps the
sport alive.