Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>
Subject: Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:42:40 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Jerry Mouton wrote:

> Geoff,
>
> Sure it does!  If you register 200 entrants at the same
> slow pace, it takes twice as long!  Two minutes a person,
> you're talking 6 3/4 hours!  And I think our current time
> to register someone gets almost that long now without
> computer problems.  And in summer we get 300.

Demonstrably it doesn't take that long; registration is only open for four
hours and it isn't continually busy.

I think that the actual value would be somewhere around 45 seconds, and it
could be less if we needed it to be.  A lot of the spare time is people
hanging around filling out their cards and work assignments or asking
questions; but if you count faces passing in front of each registration
station it isn't very long.  If you need to cut it in half for
burstability, set up another line; the only interdependent step is work
assignments.  For that matter, if you set up the work assignment and
waiver section as a separate line, and made people fill out their checks
ahead of time, you could cut registration time by close to 50%, I bet.

KeS

(hopes to run my first Qualcomm local event this Sunday...)