Re: how do i get fronts as hot as rears?

To: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: how do i get fronts as hot as rears?
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 00:12:24 -0800 (PST)
On Thu. 8 Nov 2001, James Creasy wrote:

>> Run your front bar stiffer, or your rear bar softer - either will
>>cause a higher percentage of weight to transfer at the front of the car.
>
>but i dont want to change the steer characteristics.. which feel just
>about right now...
>
>-james

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Randy Noll added:

> Bring water, spray down the rears to keep them cooler. Course Kumhos
> don't usually heat up all the way on 3 runs anyways. I'd setup the car
> to run best at 3rd run temps, taking into account any change in
> push/oversteer. Most people progressively get faster, so make the third
> run the sweet one. Anything you do to change how the tires heat up will
> most likely change the handling of the car unless you do something like
> change brake bias and don't trail brake.
>
> Tire warmers? Air ducts on rears? Easier on the throttle? (wheelspin
> will heat them up real quick)
>
> Randy

Here's the deal.  Ultimately, you want all the tires to work equally hard,
because that's how you get the most performance out of them.  If the
fronts aren't getting hot, they aren't working as hard as the rears.
Artificially cooling or heating one end or other just disguises the issue.
And whether you like the steering presently isn't really very important,
James.  Since you run a car where you have the luxury of changing all the
variables, you have a number of ways of adjusting things that aren't
available to those in less-prepared classes.  We screw around with tire
pressures and shock settings as compromises to settings you can adjust
directly.

Since I have the benefit of having never actually set up a Prepared car, I
can give you the full fruits of my wisdom untarnished by dull empiricism.
Please read all the instructions carefully:

- Get your driveline set up the way you need it (HP, gears, limited slip).

- Get the front and rear of the car working equally hard by adjusting, in
order, wheel width, track, and sway bars.

- Get the tires working at optimum temperature across the tread with a
pyrometer, pressures, and alignment settings.

- Work with shocks and alignment for fine tuning and handling preferences.

- Disregard all of the previous instructions and go ask someone who
actually knows what the hell they're talking about!  (Spencer, Villareal,
the Hales, Stagnaro, etc.)

KeS