Re: how do i get fronts as hot as rears?

To: Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net
Subject: Re: how do i get fronts as hot as rears?
From: Jesus Villarreal <jesvilla@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:02:46 -0800
Kevin Stevens wrote:

> - Disregard all of the previous instructions and go ask someone who
> actually knows what the hell they're talking about!  (Spencer, >Villareal,
>the Hales, Stagnaro, etc.)
>
> KeS

OK, I'll bite, sounds like maybe James is not driving his car into the
corners hard enough, but without riding with him, or driving it, I
cannot be sure. If the car is fairly neutral, and tire temps are even
across the tread, then he probably is heating the rears up with the
throttle, and the setup is pretty close. The other thing you must
consider when setting a car up is the track surface. Here is where
keeping really good data in your setup files makes a difference, after a
few years you will know what to change when you are on asphalt as
opposed to concrete. Shock settings and tire pressures are the simplest
of course, but some hard core auto-x'ers go as far as changing springs
and alignment settings. You'll need higher pressures and stiffer
settings for grippy concrete and softer settings for the asphalt
surfaces. This last weekend I had radiator and fuel pressure problems,
so I didn't get a good feel for the suface at GGF, I'll try again at
Oakland this weekend, I'm planning on even softer shock and swaybar
settings.

Jesus