RE: Banquet entertainment.

To: Ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Banquet entertainment.
From: Carl Merritt <CMerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:47:37 -0800
> Nope, not this year. I haven't been running enough events to
> accumulate any sort of material.

Yup, same issue for me.  Haven't been to nearly enough events, no material
to work with, too busy, etc, etc, etc...

It's really not THAT hard, just time consuming.  Jim Williams supplies all
sorts of shots, so all one needs to do is get them scanned/trimmed/sized
properly, find some good music, roll it all together in a huge PowerPoint
presentation on somebody's laptop and you're good to go with a basic slide
show.

There are lots of other tricks one can do to spice things up if time allows,
from special transitions to video clips to meticulously timed music, but
that can be entirely up to the person volunteering to construct the thing.
Sure, Katie, the rest of the slideshow crew and I burned HUGE amounts of
time on the slideshow/video last year, but please don't get stuck in a "we
have to out-do last year's show!" mentality.  Trust me, after dinner, wine,
and a long awards ceremony, the SFR Autocrossers are an easy audience to
please ;-).

Just one word of warning, once PowerPoint presentations get into the 100MB+
range, they can start having trouble and can become corrupted.  Save backups
often!  We had a 400MB presentation corrupt with no backups on the day
before the presentation which just about lead to hear-failure for some of
the crew.

-Carl