RE: Banquet entertainment.

To: "Dennis & Sherry Armstrong" <miata@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Banquet entertainment.
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:04:27 -0800
That was actually my favorite one. And now they're playing that song ALL
THE TIME on the radio, but it's actually a couple of years old! That
slide show was ahead of its time. Madonna owes me.

I think I like slides versus video better, too. I can't knock at all
Carl M.'s excellent videotography and editing, which was done so
beautifully and professionally, but there is something about the
simplicity of slides gently rolling onto a screen on regular intervals,
almost randomly, that pulls at the old heart strings. I think its
because when you use video, the artist is the person putting it
together, but in a slide show, the artists are the subjects of the
slides themselves. That could be one reason. That and that you have so
little control over how the slides appear over the music, that you just
have to relax and let go, and just let it all happen and enjoy it for
what it is. It's just a bunch of pictures with some music, really
simple, and people love it.

Of course, you don't know how I've tortured over slide shows. It is why
this year, I really must take a break. But I will be back! Hopefully
someone will do it this year and come up with something really cool.
It's been done many, many times before.

My dad used to do all the slide shows back when I was a kid, using real
slides. My first efforts used real slides, as well, and then Teresa got
involved and lent her PowerPoint expertise, and I think we came up with
some neat stuff using not very complicated equipment.

If I ever get a masters degree, my thesis would be Slide Shows: Cheesy
Entertainment or Minimalistic Art?

Katie