Re: Atwater some more

To: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@attbi.com>, "James Creasy"
Subject: Re: Atwater some more
From: "Lolita Adrien" <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:09:33 -0700
There are some really interesting dynamics that take place about the end of
set-up. Not just at the Tour but on lots of mornings. In theory someone
designs the course, a bunch of people help rough out the cones and the
designer finishes/ fine tunes it, safety inspects it and  then it gets
marked and lined. In practice there are people who feel it is within their
purview to walk course late in the process and "adjust"  almost any aspect
of courses even after it has been approved for safety. I personally suspect
that this happened on Sat. morning at the Tour as Bryan, Chris and I walked
and discussed that section together. At the run group three walk the course
was clearly less restricted than it had been Friday night and earlier in the
morning BUT the cones were placed within grease pencil markings. Exactly
when it changed I can not say. That it was changed I can attest to.I think
we might have all driven the same course, but some folks may have had a
better idea what to expect on their first pass.
MJ