Solo2 sucks!

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solo2 sucks!
From: "Anthony Tabacco" <tony@atarchitects.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 08:46:36 -0700
Well, at least the SCCA's series trademark name does. How many of you have
gotten so tired of explaining what autocross is? Most of you, right? I have
buddies who think we play with slot cars. I don't even want to tell you what
the road race contingent thinks we do. And its hard enough to get the skill
set explained ("Oh, I get it, ...well how fast do you go?"), let alone to do
it with such a stupid name for the sport as Solo2, right? Right!

So, what's the background on this and how do we get it changed? Why can't it
just be "SCCA Autocross"? It isn't trademarked, just non-exclusive. So what? I
heard it is a problem with the related term for time trialing, our equally
stupid trademark "Solo1", but that doesn't make any sense to me. Why can't
that just be "SCCA Time Trials", SCCA Rally", "SCCA Concourse" (sort of funny
though to think of a vinyl sticker on a '34 Packard), etc.? I'll bet this is a
universal, however minor, irritant. So, what's with National on this, or did I
bet wrong and I'm the only one who finds it hard to recruit new members with
this turkey title? This is autocross jihad.

Your autox buddy,
Tony