Re: Sunday's course

To: autox <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sunday's course
From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:10:06 -0700
On Aug 3, 2004, at 23:36, PAUL TIBBALS wrote:

> Here's my two cents on the results of the course design.  You-all may
> have
> noticed that the course was relentlessly left turning, with the big
> loop, and
> the general layout.

Wouldn't any left-handed course without a crossover have exactly 180
degrees more left turn than right?

> Unfortunately, take that plus a car that has lots of
> weight and power, FWD with its weight distribution and tendency to
> understeer,
> somewhat worn tires on the shoulder already, and some of the really
> bad areas
> of exposed large aggregate in the GGF surface, and you get a corded RF
> tire!
> As far as I can tell it happened almost solely during the fourth run.
> These
> tires had survived about thirteen rounds, and an hour plus at
> Thunderhill on a
> track day, without any damage anywhere near this level.

Worn out tires cord.  Interesting phenomenon, never seen that before.
The relevant question is how many events the other three have left in
them?

> p.p.s.  Let's say you're working course, and a car takes out / carries
> off the
> final cone in a slalom AND the pointer cone so that the workers cannot
> safely
> replace them before the next driver comes.  Should the course workers
> red flag
> the following car and give them a re-run,

Yes, though depending on the cone and what course the following driver
takes, I've seen people decide to let it go.  It's up to the driver to
stop and point out a displaced cone that might be erroneously charged
to them, or that makes the course more difficult; but if the displaced
cone alters the course for the better the course workers should stop
runs.  The basic guide is that all cars should be competing on the same
course.

KeS