Re: Sunday's course

To: info@4d-sport.com
Subject: Re: Sunday's course
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:27:03 -0700
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:13:27AM -0700, 4D Sport wrote:

> Thanks for the course design tip.  I know personally I had to take a
> bunch of right hand freeway ramps on the way home to reestablish my
> equilibrium =8^).

I don't think that even left/right tire wear should be a serious
consideration when designing a course.  A fun and challenging course
should be the primary goal, under the constraints of the lot
size/shape, delay between cars, and safety.  Corded tires can be
replaced.  The half day you spend for 180 seconds on a no-fun course
can not.

GGF will chew up tires, it's a fact of life.  Over the season, the
wear will even out if you pay attention to which way the course
circulates and rotate your tires accordingly.  I don't know of any
tire that will be destroyed by a single event unless it was already
nearly worn out.  (Okay, I've heard some scary things about the
Hoosier A3S04s mounted on MINI Coopers).

In general if you get extreme or unusual wear, it can be due to a
problem with the car's setup.  The camber setting could have slipped
or the pressure may have been low.  I've seen tires destroyed quickly
due to both of those conditions.

Paul, in your case it sounds like the tire corded on the outside edge.
If you're sure of the pressures, then more negative camber would help.
You may need camber plates or an adjustable control arm to achieve
that, but it ought to help both your grip and your tire wear rate.
What tires are you running, Azenis?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94