Optional slaloms was Re: Sunday's course

To: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Subject: Optional slaloms was Re: Sunday's course
From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:15:02 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Donald R McKenna jumped on my coattails and wrote:

> > runs.  The basic guide is that all cars should be competing on the same
> > course.
>
> At the risk of opening another "can-of-worms", Kevin's last sentence is why
> some of us think optional direction slaloms should not be used.
>
>         Don

And the reason you're wrong ;) is that picking a correct direction in an
optional slalom is no different than picking the correct line through a
single turn.  In both cases there is a car dependency you need to assess.
But everyone has the same *opportunity* of choice.  That's very different
than presenting all the drivers but one with a mandatory X cone slalom,
and that one with an X-1 cone slalom.

Besides, isn't picking a slalom direction really no more than making an
accurate assessment of your best line in and out of it, which you'd have
to do for the preceding and following turns regardless?

KeS