Re: The Bricklin I found..

Subject: Re: The Bricklin I found..
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:38:20 -0400
Dave Cairns wrote:

> Hello everyone.. Well I will tell you about more about the bricklin I am
> looking at buying.. It's a '75 Green.. And it's From a fellow named
> Angelo Santangelo (He Says He know's Terry Tanner) Well he want's $2000
> Canadian for it..

Hi Dave.

I live about 2 miles from that car.  Last year he told me he wanted
$3500
for it, but Paul Rego (about 1 mile from my house, off Steeles on Peru
Road) had a hard time moving his (now my) white '75 in _much_ better
shape for $2000.  Of course, I'm sure it helps Angelo now to not have
to compete with a car in better shape for less money.

When I talked to him a year ago, he also told me that he knew all
about Bricklins - he then went on to tell me that it was built on a
modified Matador Police Interceptor frame, which is totally wrong
according to articles and interviews I read in "Bricklin Gold
Portfolio."  He also told me that he started restoring it, but when
I asked him about it, all he had done was spend (according to him)
$800 on new tires.

That car is seriously beat - nearly all of the body panels have damage,
and the interior will need to be completely replaced.  I was also told
that the frame of my car "needs some work" - when I got the body off, I
learned that the frame was totally pooched, and it wasn't possible to
tell this with the body on.  That green car has been sitting outside for
years, I'd expect that the frame is in similar condition to mine (ie:
needing complete replacement).

I don't mean to discourage you from buying it, but I would suggest
that you take anything that Angelo says with at least a bit of salt,
and offer him 800 bucks for the car (it's probably worth more than that,
but it isn't worth $2000).  Before you get it, I recommend you call
Terry Tanner and ask for his price sheet so you'll have a good idea
of what you're getting into - you'll need to buy most of the parts
on it - I'm figuring my resto/mod will cost between $15-20k cdn, and I
expect the green car would need at least that, depending on what you
want to do to it.  I only mentioned this because you described yourself
as "kinda strapped for money", and the $1-2k purchase price will be
only the _very_ beginning of a not-exactly-inexpensive resto.

If you do buy it, let me know - I've found some guys who'll build me
a frame, perhaps if we both went they'd give us a bit of a break on
the price, eh?

Phil.