Re: Air Doors

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Doors
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:47:51 -0500 (EST)
First off, the electric compressor, especially the one Terry is selling is
probably the way to go.  Now that's out of the way.  My doors worked almost
perfectly for 3 years with the vacuum pump.  Then the pump started working
intermittently.  I found a source for a replacement (electric was not in the
budget at the time) and installed it.  When things didn't get a lot better, I
checked the vacuum, it was borderline.  You need at least 18-19 in of vacuum
to run the pump.  I either have a vacuum leak or more likely a sick engine.
 (It is currently on the maintenance list to look into this further.)
 Another thing about the vacuum pumps is that they can sometimes get stuck.
 A light tap with a hammer will usually get them going again.  My car has a
filler valve built into the air tank under the rear bumper just above the
(often hot--OUCH!) tail pipe on the passenger side.  Check yours, because not
all the air tanks have them.  Now, I am not Arnold but I still don't have any
problem lifting the doors without air, even without pulling the pin.  The
portable battery powered compressors are nice if the car is parked as at a
meet or something and you don't want to run the engine to charge them up (you
would need a filler valve of course).