Re: Air Doors

To: Jim Isbell <JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Air Doors
From: "S.G.Schiro" <gschiro@qsky.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 11:57:09 -0600
Yes.  Many cars supplement the vacuum pump with an electric pump because
the vacuum pump is felt to be insufficient to pump up the doors quickly
enough between  short trips.  Mine came with the pump so I cannot tell
you where it came from.

The one problem you can have with the electric pumps is when you leave
the car unused for any length of time and the vacuum system has a slow
leak.  Then the electric pump will keep comming on and eventually drain
the battery.  To avoid this, it is recommended that you install a
cut-out switch that disconnects the electric pump when leaving the car
unused for extended periods of time.  Of course the doors will still
leak down but at least you can start the car.

You must be a lot stronger than me, because I have a real struggle
openning the doors from the inside or the outside when the air pressure
is gone!  I'd rather squeeze out the hatch!

George Schiro