Re: What radiator for a 75 and other qs?

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What radiator for a 75 and other qs?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 08:04:26 -0500
With regards to the radiators there seems to be a LOT of controversey.
I've talked extensively to Terry Tanner and John Cherba about them before
I redid mine.  Then I talked to the radiator shop.  Here are the results
of my investigation:

1. According to many sources, the radiator is from a AMC Matador coupe.
   (The radiator shop confirmed that it was indeed an AMC radiator.)

2. Checking with several aftermarket auto shopes in my area, 2 different
   chaines had radiators (1 day delivery),  AutoZone and Advanced Auto
   Parts.  Here starts the real controversy.  AutoZone has a 2 row core
   for about $140.  This one does NOT provide enough cooling!  Advanced
   offered a 2 core for $170 and a 3 core for $210.  The 3 core is what
   is in the Brick. originaly.

3. Terry says there is a 4 core core that can be put into the original
   radiator, and that he has been using them for years with no problems.
   John Cherba says they block too easily and are prone to overheating
   because of the blockage.  (I guess this may be based on the maintenance
   habbits of the owners.  I don't know.)

4. Terry also says there is a special radiator for a "Turbo"ed car.  And
   that these are better.

5. When I went to get and estimate on recoring 887's radiator, the shop
   told me:
      a. They didn't have or know what a "Turbo" radiator was.
      b. They didn't think a 4 core would fit to the top and bottom tanks.

I ended up having mine recored with the 3 core core.  It cost me about
$200.

One other item about the car overheating.  I've been told that in many
cases the problem is the fan clutch.  They just aren't working well
enough, and causes the over heating.  So if you are having overheating
problems, try replacing the fan clutch (about a $25 part).

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire