Door Lock Solenoids

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Door Lock Solenoids
From: "Pete Freeland" <pete@fltdyn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:58:46 +0000
I am in the process of cleaning up and doing routine maintenance on
my white '75 (VIN 2790) and the driver's side door lock solenoid
isn't working.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  Is it possible to repair this or is there some maintenance that
should be done on these to help preserve them?

2.  If the unit can't be fixed, is there an immediate cross-reference
for this part?  I would be surprised if this is a unique
Bricklin-only part.

I have confirmed that I have good voltage to the unit.   It simply
isn't moving the push rod that is attached to the door latch.  I
believe it failed as a result of the latch needing lubrication.

As a general note, I had a problem with my door staying locked and
being stuck in the car.  I found that several of the screws that
attach the latch mechanism to the door structure had become loose and
allowed the door latch to shift.  More important, the door latch
needed internal lubrication.  After spraying WD-40 into the mechanism
inside the door and working it for a few minutes I was able to
restore the normal function.  I am planning to do the same to my
passenger door this weekend to help prevent what happened to me on
the driver side door.

Thanks for your help.

Pete Freeland
Portland, Oregon