Re: Fw: E-bay auction- Cheap Car (NOT)

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, wingracer@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Fw: E-bay auction- Cheap Car (NOT)
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 12:52:09 PDT
I disagree with these comments because they serve no purpose.  What
determines what the cars are worth?  Well, economists would say the
price that a willing buyer and a willing seller transact.  But what
really drives the price?  It is perception.  When I am asked, and we all
are, what my car is worth, I don't say something like "well, not much
because of...".  When I studied negotiation, that was called dealing
against yourself. Rather, now I might say that I saw one up for auction
with the starting bid at $25,000.  That statement is totally accurate
and supportable.

Perhaps the car that is for sale is a bedroom car like Sandy Bigman's --
one that wins Concourses.  What do you think Sandy would sell his car
for (I doubt that he would).  Anyway, by running down what someone lists
a car for serves no purpose.  We should be happy that a Bricklin is for
sale at a popular Internet spot and getting lots of exposure.  Plus we
should be happy that he didn't price it too cheaply.

I only hope that with the national exposure more people will be drawn to
the website and hopefully the cars in the classified section there are
not woefully underpriced.

Public perception is our ally and each of us can help form that.  We
have to stop devaluing our cars and start to drive the market (and the
car).  I mean, I have been considering going on the radio talk show,
Motorman, and bragging about the car.  Should I say, well, these cars
are not too collectable, there is not much of a market, and they aren't
worth much.  Of course not; I don't think that is true.

Should we carp about someone listing a car for 25,000? Not in my
opinion.  Is the person who spends that for a car a fool? Not
necessarily.  Is a Beanie Baby worth $200? I think that I made the point
I wanted to. Kim