Re: Fw: E-bay auction- Cheap Car (NOT)

To: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: E-bay auction- Cheap Car (NOT)
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 21:44:21 -0400

>I disagree with these comments because they serve no purpose.
=============
I guess you missed the smiley face :^)) On a more serious note, I
don't view the world through the same rose colored glasses you seem
to. :^))
=============
  What
>determines what the cars are worth?  Well, economists would say the
>price that a willing buyer and a willing seller transact.  But what
>really drives the price?  It is perception.
=============
For sure, but more importantly, desire in this case. This is what my
comments are based on. P.T. Barnum's dictum at work here.
=============
  When I am asked, and we all
>are, what my car is worth, I don't say something like "well, not
much
>because of...".  When I studied negotiation, that was called
dealing
>against yourself. Rather, now I might say that I saw one up for
auction
>with the starting bid at $25,000.  That statement is totally
accurate
>and supportable.
=============
Certainly. Obviously it's up to the seller to present the goods to
best advantage. My comments don't contradict this.
=============

>Perhaps the car that is for sale is a bedroom car like Sandy
Bigman's --
>one that wins Concourses.
=============
So what if it is? And what kind of Concourses? Bricklin meets? I
can't imagine a Bricklin ever winning a major show.
=============
  What do you think Sandy would sell his car
>for (I doubt that he would).
=============
A rhetorical question, you'll have to ask Sandy.
=============
  Anyway, by running down what someone lists
>a car for serves no purpose.
=============
What you call "running down" I call "pragmatic observations" based
on facts.
=============
We should be happy that a Bricklin is for
>sale at a popular Internet spot and getting lots of exposure.  Plus
we
>should be happy that he didn't price it too cheaply.
=============
I agree, but in the scheme of things, IMHO it's highly doubtful it
will have any positive impact on Bricklin values if he's successful.
=============

>I only hope that with the national exposure more people will be
drawn to
>the website and hopefully the cars in the classified section there
are
>not woefully underpriced.
>
>Public perception is our ally and each of us can help form that.
We
>have to stop devaluing our cars and start to drive the market (and
the
>car).  I mean, I have been considering going on the radio talk
show,
>Motorman, and bragging about the car.  Should I say, well, these
cars
>are not too collectable, there is not much of a market, and they
aren't
>worth much.  Of course not; I don't think that is true.
=============
It's certainly not in our best interest. :^)) And I certainly don't
devalue any cars I have sold. Quite the contrary, I have used P.T.
Barnum's dictum to good effect.......and had it done to me when I
bought my Bricklin. :^)) It doesn't change the facts underlying my
quips though. As a buyer, desire clouds our decision making
abilities. The auto collectors who normally determine value consider
Bricklins as a non entity, so you're right, we are left with the
responsibility for fanning the flames of desire.
=============

>Should we carp about someone listing a car for 25,000? Not in my
>opinion.  Is the person who spends that for a car a fool? Not
>necessarily.  Is a Beanie Baby worth $200? I think that I made the
point
>I wanted to. Kim
It's all a matter of perspective. One person's carping is another's
comic relief. :^)) The main point you made to me personally is you
seem to be too preoccupied with your car's monetary value. Since the
ultimate factor is exclusiveness; I'll help a little, I plan to be
buried in mine. :^))

GM