RE: Power Booster

To: "Bricklin (E-mail)" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Power Booster
From: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:32:19 -0400
Dave,
   I remember replacing the power brake booster and the master cylinder on
#1080 (75).  If I remember correctly I just used the NAPA part # the John
Blair has on the Cross-reference and it fit perfectly....although not the
easiest thing to replace. (I think that I needed an extra set of hands)
   As for your other drum problems.  I had the same problem recently on a
complete brake rebuild on a Grand-Am.  When we would try to bleed the brakes
I found that just leaving the bleeder open and holding my finger over it
till it got pressure and then closing it worked best.  If after that I would
try to bleed then the first try would be full of pressure and the second
would just dribble (and the pedal was not released before I shut the
bleeder).  NOTE: I do not claim to be a brake expert.
   Hopefully someone will be able to help you better with the rear brakes.
   My guess is that it is just an adjustment of some sort....whether inside
the drum (that adjustment screw thing where the rear shoes meet at the
bottom...or something else.  Try holding your finger over the open bleeder
and then pumping the brakes, and then close it when you get some pressure.
   I doubt the proportioning valve is the problem....FWIW

                                                                Jamie