Re: URGENT Federal Legislative Alert - U.S. Senate Bill Would

To: AAFS172@aol.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: URGENT Federal Legislative Alert - U.S. Senate Bill Would
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:12:20 EST
In a message dated 12/14/2001 11:12:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
AAFS172@aol.com writes:

> > A good solution to this problem is to have local legislation controlling
> > the number of vehicles one my have that are visible from any vantage
> point.
> > This includes visible from an upstairs bedroom window into the neighbors
> > backyard scrap yard.

Most of the time there are local ordinances that cover the visual aspects of
junk.   If my wife would allow it, I would probably have a small junkyard in
the back of my property to hold parts cars and projects awaiting restoration
(out of general eyesight).  There is not much chance of that, but I support
others' right to store junk, and certainly don't object to licensed running
cars.  Of course there are people who will take that to extreme and put any
kind of junk in their front yards, not just cars, and can really create a
nuisance.  So while there are limits, we don't need any federal laws (or even
state laws) to cover that problem.

This law is directed towards fuel economy.  If people use it to turn in
actual junk, e.g. stripped body shells, that would not be the intent of the
law anyway.  Laws like this make no sense.  Didn't a 1974 Lotus get about 50
mpg?  One could turn in a 1985 toyota that was rarely driven anyway in order
to purchase a new Suburban.  The effect on parts availability would be very
bad.  Vote no.

George Curley