RE: CTO Switches

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: CTO Switches
From: "Alan Coleman" <colemaal@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:19:01 +0000
Coolant Temperature Overide switch, also known as  Thermostatic Vacuum
Switches (TVS).  The AMC 360 has two.  One is mounted in the thermostat
housing and the other is mounted on the intake manifold in the coolant flow.
  These switches are temperature activated and control vacuum flow to the
EGR valve and the Vacuum advance for the distributor.  There is one other
connection, but I can't remember what it is and it is too cold to go out in
the garage right now to look.  The part numbers that the Bricklin Parts
Manual has, (3216448 & 3218940) are actually still used by  Jeep.  I also
have numbers from Tomco, Borg Warner, NAPA, Everco and Standard. I don't
know if they are good or not.  I am going to be buying two and I will let
you know.

Alan

>I'll bite.  What is a CTO (TVS) switch and what do they do?
>
>John
>
>----------------
>
>At 09:03 AM 1/16/2004 -0600, Jim Pivirotto wrote:
> >I have not replaced it but probably should. What are the part numbers?
> >thanks Pugs 756
> >

> >I had a conversation the other day with a guy from work who restores old
> >Jeeps for a hobby. He was telling me how badly the AMC 360 engine will
>run
> >when  the CTO (TVS) switches go bad, especially the one that controls the
> >spark advance.  These are the thermostatically operated vacuum switches
>on
> >the intake manifold and apparently they do go bad often.  He printed me
>out
> >a list with cross referenced parts, which judging by the number of
> >manufacturers are readily available, even from the Jeep dealer.  I see
>that
> >this is a part that we do not have on our list.
> >
> >Has anyone replaced theirs and if so, with what???
> >
> >Alan Coleman
> >#246 (original owner)
> >
>-------------------------
>

>John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@cox.net
>Va. Beach, Va             (eBay id: zebra48-1)
>Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>
>           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
>      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
>                        65 Rambler Classic
>
>Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
>Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

Find high-speed net deals  comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com