Re: CTO Switches

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CTO Switches
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:53:56 -0500
> Any such animal on the 75 (Ford 351) engine?

YES I worked at ford in the 70's and we used them to control the heat riser,
egr valve and distributor advance. I haven't looked under the hood for a
while but I'll bet there are at least 2 on the 351 Windsor. The first one
would control the heat riser, when the engine is cold the vacuum would close
it, when warm open it, If bad it could keep the heat riser closed and thus
cause the car to run hot. The second would either thermal switch the vac
advance or the egr.

>  Out of curiosity, do they still use them
> nowadays or do the electronics incorporate the switch?

most are computer controlled now, that way they just need a coolant temp
sensor and let the ECM do the switching.

> And John, as for your articles go, maybe someone could write about
> updating the old engines to say electronic ignition, putting in some
> computer controlled modules, etc.  Do they make retrofit kits?  If so,
> how difficult and expensive?  Is it worth doing - cost vs benefit?

I'm doing a EFI retro fit on one of my cars, taking picture and making notes
along the way, don't expect an article soon as it's too cold to work right
now and I probably wont finish till the summer, no it's not cheap but I'm
hoping for some extra drivability and fuel mileage.
Rick