Re: Delayed Door Opening

To: "Tag" <atemi-grappler@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Delayed Door Opening
From: "Roderick Keeler" <rkeeler@sierratel.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:06:15 -0700
Tag,

What I did was empty a quart of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) into a
bowl.  I then submerged the bottom of the air cylinder (and thus the air
input port) into the ATF.  I then pulled on the ram.  I put a large screw
driver though the hold at the top of the ram to make a handle.  Mine was
really sticking so it was hard to pull, but I was able to get it.  You'll
see the fluid level dropping as it's sucked up into the cylinder.  Leave it
over night.  Next morning, press the ram and expel the ATF back into the
bowl.  If the sides of the bowl aren't high enough, the ATF goes everywhere.
Be careful.

Getting the ATF into the top port is more difficult.  I put the cylinder
horizontally  on a bench with the port on top.  I then put a few drops of
ATF into the port.  I pushed the ram a bit, drawing in the ATF.  I did this
again and again until the ram was completely in.  Of course there was not
nearly the quantity of fluid in the cylinder in the case, so I just rotated
the cylinder to coat the seals inside the cylinder as best I could.  Left it
all day, then pulled the ram and expelled all the ATF I could then
reinstalled in the car.

I should also say that my cylinders got to this point because my lubricator
was not mounted correctly and was not lubricating the cylinders during each
cycle.  I took care of that problem as well.

As I said, it's worked flawlessly since.

BTW, if you can't move the ram by hand, let me know; there is something that
can help with that.

Hope that helps,

Rod