Bricklin Special

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Bricklin Special
From: "Alan Coleman" <colemaal@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:54:14 +0000
I didn't have the chance to see the show that everyone is talking about, but
I did take my Bricklin to the plant in July of 1975.  I had the grand tour,
met lots of people up there and stayed with a fellow (an engineer)  and his
family who had come over here from England to work on the project. Not to
stir the pot, but most all of them that I met were complaining about the
workers.  I was told that they had taken a bunch of non skilled people who
didn't know one end of the screwdriver from the other and turned them into
assembly line workers.  The production goal was 25 cars per day and the one
day that they had hit it 23 of the cars did not make it through quality
control (as it was).  The other complaint was that when the weather got
warm, the workers would just walk off the job to go fishing and that the
government would pay them unemployment.  I was also told that at they had
brought in people from the US and several other countries because they could
not find people up there who were qualified or if they were, did not want
the responsibility of a  position of authority.

Not my thoughts- just what I was told.

Maybe it wasn't ethics, just the labor pool and the culture of the area at
the time.

Alan Coleman

Make the most of your family vacation with tips from the MSN Family Travel
Guide! http://dollar.msn.com