Re: Bricklin Special

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bricklin Special
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:44:36 -0400
> However, the selection and training of the labor is the responsibility of
> management, and is something that you have to take into consideration in
> planning the business.

I personally know a couple of people that were recruited by bricklin, went
to the factory , stayed a couple of days and left. both said the same
thing," the place was so disorganized it was surprising that one car a day
could be built." there was absolutely no one there that knew what they were
supposed to do or what to do if it didn't work like it supposed to, not
management, not workers. there was no training, just throw a bunch of people
together and say build a car. There were also security issues. one guy told
me when he was there more stuff left by the back door than the front door if
you know what I mean. I'm not saying Canadians are crooks or lazy, but like
all workers we need a bit a training and to be told what to do. lets be fair
they take a bunch of fishermen and said build a car,  surprise surprise they
needed some guidance. sorta like taking a bunch of pastry chefs and say
build us a space shuttle.

> Another factor to consider here is that the management structure and
> business planning of the company were disastrous, and that will ALWAYS
have
> a negative impact on things like employee confidence and commitment.  Kind
> of a Catch-22.

all the ex-employees I have talked to said they didn't know from one day to
the next if the plant would even be open let alone if their check would
bounce, not a good way to instill confidence or commitment

> In any case, I really didn't mean for this to turn into a Canada vs. US
kind
> of discussion.  My original comment was that Terry's comments had that Can
> vs. US feel, and what he said was WAY too general and inappropriate.
Funny
> how the engines in the 75's came from Ford's plant in Windsor, ON!
Somehow
> Ford was able to overcome the innate laziness of Canadian workers, eh? :)

 when I worked in the ford Windsor plant in 77-80, we had the highest
quality and productivity of any auto assembly plant in north America. We
also had the highest absentee rate, I'm sure I helped contribute to the
later.