Re: no air to air door cylinders

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: no air to air door cylinders
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:31:27 -0500
At 08:15 PM 3/29/2005 -0800, Frank wrote:

>hello, I finally got a compressor installed w/ 90/125 pressure switch.  I
>aired up the tank and the first time I tried opening the doors it moved the
>door an inch or so and purged out when I hit the down switch.   now there is
>no door movement.  I have this pressure regulator and if i unscrew the
>plastic part that looks like something is missing I have air present when I
>depress the rod inside  but it don't seem to be reaching the rams.  It
>dosent appear to be an adjustable regulator or part of it is missing.  If
>anyone can fill me in on the regulator I'd be real grateful.

Frank,

I guess the 1st question is did you just buy the air system, or did it come
with the car?  What I'm trying to figure out is, is it a backyard contraption
or is it a Terry Tanner system.  If it's a Terry system, you should have a
metal plate with 2 valves - one on each corner, and a regulator in the middle
of the plate.  This should be mounted in the well behind the drivers seat.
You should also have a metal tank welded to the back of the rear bumper.

Did the air compressor fill the tank?  It should have run for a little
over 5 minutes for a system with no air.  You can try putting a tire
gauge on the shrader valve on the tank under the bumper and see how much
air you have in the tank.  But be sure the gauge will go to about 150 psi.

The regulator should have a "locking" cap on the screw.  You pull the cap
away from the panel, and that will let you adjust the air pressure.  Then
press the cap back towards the panel to lock it.  (or the other way around).

The regulator should be adjustable!

When you press one of the UP switches, do you still hear the solenoid click?

If not, you have an electrical problem.

1. Are you trying an outside switch?  If so, is the lock switch connected?
   If not the outside switches will NOT work.  If the switch is connected,
   you didn't lock it did you?

2. Check the console (inside) lock switch.  If it is in the lock position,
   none of the switches will work!  So try throwing the switch to the other
   position.

I will send you an article on how the regulator works, and what it should
look like, if you want.

Did you take any of this apart?  If so, when you put it back together did
you check the flow arrows?  If not, you could have the regulator and or
solenoids in backwards.  (Don't ask how I know - thank for that lesson
Rick (HTC)).

Hope this helps.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

If you are reading it in English - Thank a soldier!!