Re: Rear Leaf Springs Replacement Part - Update

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Leaf Springs Replacement Part - Update
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:08:54 -0600
JC Whitney could not deliver on March 19th as they had indicated and when I
contacted them they indicated it would be April 19th and had sent me a card
indicating the delay.  I received the card on March 28th, but I had already
cancelled the order.

I found a couple of vendors that had could supply the spring Heavy Duty 5
leaf spring.  The JC Whitney spring was only 4 so I believe their inability
to have their supplier ship was probably a good thing.  I ended up placing
an order with ESPO Springs n' Things (800-903-9019) http://www.espo.com/.
They had the springs in stock and were able to ship quickly.  I had read
some negative and positive feedback about them on the web, but they replied
to my questions quickly and shipped the product. I did not get that level of
service from JCW. South Texas AMC had a supplier and could ship a five leaf
heavy duty spring within a week   They were good at answering my questions
also http://southtexasamc.tripod.com ($201 with shipping).   Terry Tanner
had springs from a 1975 ($175),  but with the number of broken leaves that I
had I did not want to use a thirty year old spring.  So there are several
choices out there for your car.

I received the springs and have installed one side.  The 74 Gremlin spring
is a perfect match and now the car is balanced.  With the multiple breaks in
the spring the car sat a little crooked and tight to one side front wheels.
They were able to supply the bushings and bolts that I had to cut to remove
the old spring.  The springs with shipping was $204.  This was more than the
JC Whitney price of $129, but they could ship and the spring appears to be a
better spring.  I hope to replace the other side and get a little bit of a
road test in.

Greg  0036