Re: Two Steps Back - No power - Update

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Two Steps Back - No power - Update
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:50:08 -0400
At 05:38 PM 6/29/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>I checked the voltage in the fuse panel and everything that was not ignition
>key activated was at 8.61 volts. All fuses look OK.  I am not sure if that is
>a relevant reading or not.

Greg,

I've been following this thread, and so far all the info. put out by
everyone is good and correct.  I don't remember you talking about anything
except that you can't keep a battery charged.

I don't understand what you were checking that was 8.61V.  That's not good.
It should either be 12V or 0 volts.  There really isn't much that is NOT
ignition switch activated.  The headlights are really the only thing I
can think of, with the exception of the clock.

>Still do not understand why there are no lights or radio.  Ground checks seem
>to be OK.  I may have an issue with the ignition switch or starter relay, but
>that should not affect the lights.  Are there any breakers or additional
>fuses that I may not be aware of?

What lights don't you have, headlights?

On the headlight switch the there is a funny looking connector.  There should
be a large (ish) red wire.  That should be hot all the time.  Check between
that and ground with a volt meter.  You should get 12V.

That red wire goes back to the Am meter.

OH!! OH!!  OH!!  You say you don't have any lights,  If the connector fell
off, or burned up and is not making contact you will have NO power to
anything except the hot side of the starter soldnoid.

If the connector is connected to the ammeter and the contacts are good,
them as Rick said there is a fuseable link - it looks just like a piece
of wire - it's red - and comes off the starter solenoid.  This goes to
the one side of the am meter.  So if you don't have 12V on one side of
the ammeter, then it has to be the fuseable link.

Also, reference the 8V, make sure you have a good ground for the neg. lead
of the voltmeter and that you have a good ground on the car.  The neg.
battery lead grounds to the chassis under the body to the frame between
the battery box and the air dist. panel.

There is supposed to be a ground strap between the chassis and the engine
block, but I don't remember seeing a real ground strap between the bird-
cage and the chassis.  The birdcage sides on rubber isolators and I
think that will insulate the birdcage from the chassis and ground.  You
might want to make a ground strap and connect it to the birdcage and
the chassis.

Anyone remember seeing a ground strap between the birdcage and the chassis?

Hope this helps.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229