Re: Two Steps Back - No power - Update

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Two Steps Back - No power - Update
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:58:17 -0400
At 10:14 PM 6/29/2006 -0500, Greg Schroeder wrote:

>I should be able to check the red wire on the light switch.  I will see if I
>can get that checked tonight or early in the morning.
>
>I do not quite understand where the fuseable link is located.  Is it the
>ammeter?  I will look at the drawings I have and see if I see anything
>there.

Greg,

There are 4 fuseable links on the Bricklin.  The one you're looking for
is on the starter solenoid where the main power feed cable attaches,
the input side of the solenoid.  If I remember correctly it's a red wire
on my car.

>Right now, I believe I only have power on the positive connection on the
>starter solenoid (left side).  All the other power bypasses the fuse box and
>comes off the battery.  So doors, air pump work fine.  I am not seen any
>voltage on the yellow wire (top left side of the starter solenoid.)

That is correct. No power to the little wire on the solenoid.  You won't
have power there unless ALL of the following conditions are met:

1. The fuseable line is OK (intact),

2. The transmission is in Park or Neutral (and the Neutral/Park switch  is
   working correctly,

3. The connector to the Ammeter is connected to the am meter,

4. Then ignition key is turned to the start position.

>The solenoid test skips the top left connector(yellow wire) and would
attempt
>to start the engine.  So the starter solenoid and starter are OK.

Again, this is correct.  What you have done, is bypassed all 4 of the items
above, that can stop the 12 from getting to the "enable" connector on the
starter solenoid.  You have applied 12V directly from the battery to the
"enable" connector on the solenoid, and the solenoid engaged.  This
"engaging" connects the input side (the large cable from the battery) to the
output side (the large wire going to the starter), and lets the starter
turn over.

>Could the Neutral safety switch be involved in any way?  I was getting ready
>to check that also.

It could, but I doubt it.  My bet is either the fusable link is blown or
the ammeter connection is come undone.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229