Re: speedo-tacho comparo

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: speedo-tacho comparo
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 90 21:25:28 EST
On older sprites (4.22 rear), 1000 rpm in 3rd == 10 mph, almost exactly.
Was quite useful in my first beater sprite, with no 4th gear and no speedo.
Just run at 5500 rpm in 3rd on the highway (on the edge of yellow) for hours.
4th had the dogteeth worn at a slight angle, so under drive it generated
thrust pushing it out of gear.  It was incredible how much abuse those
A-series engines would take - this one ate a quart every 100 miles or so when
I got it, and lived like that (yellow/red in 3rd, daily transport) for
several years, and was still going just as strong when I retired it (and it
was then stolen by towing!)  This was the 1098cc engine, BTW.

        Randell