minimaniahotwaterandice

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: minimaniahotwaterandice
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 13:35:28 EST
Miq M. has suggested that we all show up at the Mini Mania on Mar 18 at San
Jose.  What an interesting idea.  If we started waiting now, maybe all the
ice in the driveway would have been melted by Mar 1, which would give us 17
more days to fire up the Spitfire for first time since early December, then
drive it the required 3500 miles...  (Sharon, where'd we put the picnic
basket?)  Otherwise, it sounds like a great idea.  Of course, those of us on
the right coast, a.k.a. first coast, have a hard enough time getting just the
New Englanders and near-New Englanders together.  Last year's attempt was a
big washout.  Shall we try again?  Whadayasay, Roger?  Rob?  Dale?  Metz?
Garry?  (We've lost Mark L. to the left coast, and Bob T. to hard times, and
Dr. Bobwrench B. to higher tech in the uppermidwest.)  John Wr.?  Oneway?
Anyone else?

Geez, but that ice storm last night was a humdinger.  I've seen tough times
cleaning the car in the morning, but this was a real standout effort by Dame
Winter at making life impossible.  I wouldn't recommend hot water on the
windshield.  Warm, maybe, but then it could just freeze up again.  I found a
pretty good solution this morning.  The Caravan is kinda' big with lots of
glass.  I just put a small electric space heater on the floor, with a long
power cord leading back up to the garage, then waited.  After 10 minutes or
so, the windows had started to heat up enough from the inside that the ice
came off, with a fair amount of trouble, but at least it came off.  Next time
I'll try it again.  If you try it, do be careful that you don't overheat any
of the interior.

Jim Muller