Re: On the subject of Brit car/Miata clones....

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: On the subject of Brit car/Miata clones....
From: mit-eddie!uunet.uu.net!lectroid!blublaze!caloccia@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 01:51:23 -0500
>   A friend who works at Ford has told me about a two seat ragtop they are
>   planning to release sometime "...in the near future..."  I forget the model

        The new Ford Capri, was shown on the auto-show circuit back in '88
(I saw in in NYC).  The press (autoweek, autocar & motor) have had bits
here and there about it.  Supposedly it is due to be a '90 1/2, for delivery
in the US this spring.  Principle reasons for delays were first ramping up the
Aussie plant for their saloon production (Falcon ?) ( a direct competitor
to one of the Holden sedans, which evidently is a big market-share war
down-under)

        After getting the Aussie sedans out the door, in sufficient quantity,
and of   good quality, then they again turned to the the production of the
two-seater, and had to build up a stock, and get the quality/quantity to
be ok.

        From what I've read, some will be used in the home-market, but
the project sinks-or-swims on the export volume to the US.  This was
designed for US export (not to be 'americanised'), and if I recall,
is based on Mazda 323 mechanicals. (just like it's younger sibling, the miata)

        --bill

HA ! found it:
see Autoweek, October 30, 1989, page 19

some comments:
        went on sale down under in Nov. '89

        based on Aussie market Tracer, which like the Mexican-built Mercury
badged clone, is based on Mazda's previous generation 323.  But Ford Australia
sells the fwd Tracer with a 1.5L 132hp turbo 16 valve from the lamented 323 GTX

        While the Tracer is tall and top-heavy the carpi is intimate and
balanced. 0-100km/h is 8.9 (0-60 is (est) 8.6)
        ford wants to sell 35,000 capris in the US the first year out...