First SOL experience (was Re: minimaniahotwaterandice)

To: mit-eddie!hplabs.hp.com!hpfcmw!spooner@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: First SOL experience (was Re: minimaniahotwaterandice)
From: linus!xait!harvard!uunet.uu.net!att!speedy!gerry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 10:45:37 -0500
 > The Citroen suspension most often encountered is not Hydroelastic,
 > but fully hydraulic.

A friend of mine back in the late 70's had a Citroen DS21 with the
hydraulic suspension. On acceleration the car would stay level and not
squat at all and on hard braking the same happened.

I found this to be very strange at the beginning because when you
slammed on the brakes there was no front end dive at all and it did
not "feel" right. At first I thought that the brakes were not working very
well, but sure enough I could lock all four wheels with no problem. It
took some getting used, especially to drive smoothly.

An old grilfreind had the Austin 1100/1300 with the hydroelastic suspension
and this had the same tendanbcy not to dive on braking or squat on acceleration.

 > I can't remember too many details of the 2CV suspension, other than it

I remember the 2CV only had 2 shock absorbers. Both wheels on either side
were linked (via a rod) to the same shock absorber.

 > We are considering Riches Rallie in (April?) in the Albany Area. But that
 > would probably involve driving the Civic Si.

 > The Outback IV

I think Richard's rally in April is an excellent opportunity for
all the eastern SOL to get together. I shall be going to take
part and am eagerly looking forward to it. At the moment I am trying
to organize 3/4 other friends of mine to go, all of them have British
cars, so that we gan convoy up to Kingston on the Friday night.

On the same topic I shall be rally master for a gimmick/TSD rally
on the 1st April 1990. It starts and ends in central N jersey and
winds its way through two state forest (~10% dirt roads). I shall post
more details later on.

Gerry