Re: miscellany

To: "bellcore!mit-eddie!alliant!british-cars"@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: miscellany
From: mit-eddie!bellcore!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 5 Mar 1990 13:37 EST
>Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 11:03:44 PST
>
>There's no doubt that I'm a beginning mechanic, so I be embarrassing
>myself by asking this: why do people get dissatisfied with Craftsman
>tools? Why are Snap-On better?
>
>Always trying to develop my sense of taste,

In my opinion, the only reason to buy Snap-On is for certain
extra quality in some particular items,  I have a Snap-On
torque wrench which is an excellent tool that I have no
regrets at having paid the extra bucks for over a similar
Craftsman tool.  But, for most items, I've found the Sears
replacement (lifetime) guarantee of Craftsman sockets, wrenches,
and other non-power tools to be totally adequate for my periodic
mechanical endeavors.

Lest anyone think I rarely do these things, I have rebuilt three
engines and am in the midst of a full frame-off restoration
of a TR-3.  Additionally, my tools get plenty of workout
on regular maintenance and repair of several other Triumphs
as well as a Buick and an Isuzu Trooper (No repairs yet in
the Trooper).  Additionally, if you are a homeowner like me,
these tools are used for numerous other home repairs, fixing
the kids bikes, etc.

My worst case situation is the Craftsman 3/8 breaker bar
that I originally got as a gift when I was 21 (that's
27 years ago).  To date, I have gone through three of them.
Each time I sheared off the 3/8 drive I simply brought it
back to Sears and the salesman took the broken item and
gave me a new one.  No questions asked!  Now I believe
Snap-On has a similar lifetime warranty, but try finding
your local Snap-on retailer on a Saturday afternoon after
you've just broken one of your wrenches or sockets.

Bottom line here, at least as I see it, is for the vast
majority of us part-time mechanics, Craftsman is fine.
For some special tools, go for the Snap-On.

Bill Sohl