Re: miscellany

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: miscellany
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 12:58 EST
    At the risk of starting a flame-war, I must beg to differ
    with the response.

i really don't want to start a flame-war either; i must not
have been entirely clear in my earlier message.

    We have tried snap-on, s&k, and (of course) craftsman,
    and I would recommend snap-on every time, if you can possibly afford them.
    Craftsman is adequate for trivial stuff, but really seems guaranteed to
    disappoint.

for the beginning, or occasional, mechanic, i generally recommend
craftsman because for a lot of people, craftsman is more than
adequate, and the warranty is good.  i agree that when you start
getting serious, snap-on tools have much to recommend them.  but
the prices still make me wince.  i visit the used tool store from
time to time, and pick up useful snap-on tools when i can.  when
my craftsman tools break, i usually replace them with snap-on.  when
i need unusual tools, i check with snap-on first (my slide gear
puller/hammer is snap-on; i never did locate such a tool in the
sears tool catalogue.)

in other words, my advice varies depending on how much mechanical
work is actually being done, and on just how dissatisfied a person
is with craftsman tools.  lots of people don't really need snap-on
tools to do the work that they do.  that's all.

richard