Re: miscellany

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: miscellany
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 15:55 EST
    From: kent@wsl.dec.com

    There's no doubt that I'm a beginning mechanic, so I be embarrassing
    myself by asking this: why do people get dissatisfied with Craftsman
    tools? Why are Snap-On better?

well, let's see ...

a cultural change is occuring in the way sears handles tools.
it used to be, maybe 10 years ago, that if you went into the
sears tool department, that the sales people were all middle
aged `tool guys' who knew what they were selling and were
probably hobbyists (auto, wood working, etc.) on their own
time, if not ex-professionals.  you'd walk in and know that
you were talking to people who `knew' tools.  the tools were
well made; perhaps not as good as Snap-On, but they were
definitely quality tools.

these days, the physical quality of the tools is declining;
open-end wrenches flex because of low quality steel; the
pieces in the small pliers don't fit together very well;
the ratcheting fixtures tend to jam up or stop working all
together, and so forth.  the `tool guys' aren't there anymore;
i went into the big albany area sears last night, and it was
all high-school kids, just like any other mall store, and
they all prefered to socialize with each other rather than
help out the customer.

sigh,
  richard