Re: trip to England

To: mit-eddie!Alliant.COM!british-cars@GARP.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: trip to England
From: Chris Haller <mit-eddie!CORNELLA.cit.cornell.edu!CJH@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 13:59:29 EST
Garry Archer writes:
>I understand that it is wiser to get your travel agent (or yourself) to
>rent a car in England for you from over here.  When you go over there the
>selection is far more limited (especially at the airports where they are so
>busy!) and the rates are much steeper.

Caution is appropriate here.  I rented from Kemwell some years ago through
my travel agent, and had a PREPAID RESERVATION, money in advance.  When we
arrived there was no car available except one about half the size necessary.
Sorry sir, be a few minutes.  SIX HOURS LATER, after numerous phone calls,
change of shift, darkness falling, trying other rental offices, crying,
totally furious, we gave up and took the bus to town from Gatwick.  There
was no suitable car available, although we would have settled for one that
could hold us and our luggage, and it gradually became clear that none would
become available until the following day, if then!

We eventually got a refund.  Big deal.  I am not a violent person, but . . . .
Can anyone suggest some form of protection against this sort of overbooking?
Acknowledge-To: <CJH@CORNELLA>