Re: my new 73 jag

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: my new 73 jag
From: mit-eddie!en.ecn.purdue.edu!chad@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Chad R Mccubbins)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 16:02:27 -0500
I have an allison ignition in my TR-7 and have been very happy with it.
After calling various friends and towing my car whenever the stock
electronic Lucas ignition stopped heated up and stopped working (real
fun to find, let the car sit and it runs!)  Anyway, the Allison unit
worked fine with my stock tach.  The tach hooked up to the negative side
of the coil and counted the pulses.  I have heard of them burning up Smith
gauges though, I believe here.  Even when I swapped for my Ford engine,
I called Allison and they sent my a kit for the Ford distributor for $5.
This has worked fine with a TR8 tach.  Is the retorfit Jag distributor
a dual point distributor or something?? Maybe the tach is bad.  There
is a place EVERYONE on the net knows about that fixes Smith gauges.

Chad McCubbins

chad@en.ecn.purdue.edu

'The shape of things to come ..........  and go ....... and come again from
Japan!!'