my new 73 jag

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: my new 73 jag
From: uunet!metter!ted@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Ted Lepich)
Date: 20 Mar 90 20:27:23 EST (Tue)
this got sort of long.

            Well I finally picked up the jag I had been looking at.  I
        queried this list a couple months ago.  It's a 1973 XKE series III
        roadster.  I went and picked it up two and a half weeks ago.
        The deal I was able to work out was $24K.

           On saturday morning, the 10th I think, I had my wife drive
        with me from Annapolis, MD  to Great Falls, VA where the car
        was residing.  We made our transaction and were off.  The distance
        from Great Falls to Annapolis is roughly 45 miles.  This car had
        sat for a long time without being driven much, I was a little
        nervious about the trip.  The previous owner, actually her husband,
        kept coming up with other things that I should check out right away.
        Kind of, you might want to check those thermostats, and that exhaust
        system definately needs replaced, and oh yea you might want to take
        a look at those front brakes, and I didn't like the seat belts so
        I took them out...  Finally we got out of there and were on our way
        to the cars new home.  At first I found it hard to get adjusted to
        the seat in the car, I was trying to sit in it, once I leaned back
        and let the seat hold me it felt great.  I also played around with
        the mirrors a bit, but upon traversing the curves out of Great Falls
        I realized that the mirrors weren't that necessary anyway :-).  The
        trip home went great.

            This past Saturday I put an exhaust system on the car. Sunday
        on the way to the shop (engine research shop where my brother-in-law
        works, and I play) to change the fluids, rebuild the carbs and
        give it a tune, my bro-in-law pulled up next to me a a light along
        route 50, which is 55mi/hr 6 lane hwy, and taunted me in his '79 Z28
        well I knew it wasn't smart but when he jumped the light I couldn't
        resist and punched it, wow what smooooooth power, he really had a
        big lead but in second I passed him like he was standing still, I
        can't believe the feel of this car!  When I looked in the mirror
        all I could see was white smoke... :-(.  Upon checking it turnned
        out to be a tiny leak from a water hose.  Ok, I'll change the hose
        before the fulid change/tune.  Poke the hose with a screw driver
        and pow, it broke into a dozen pieces,  ah ha thats what happens
        to rubber after seven years.  Check others and they are hard as
        rocks, well they're just little connecting hoses so it can't take
        too long, right..., wrong the hoses that needed replaced are
        connectors from the housing for the thermostats to the manifold.
        I couldn't fit the new hose on without removing the thermostat
        housings, and once those were out and the glass beader was handy,
        and the connecting tube needed painted...

            Later that same day, I finally get to the carbs, I figure it's
        just like my TR6, I'll just unbolt the carbs rebuild them and
        bolt them back on, @#$% it's not the same.  The nuts holding the
        carbs are a real tight fit.  I only got one side done, is it easier
        to take off the whole manifold?  I think I might try that on the
        other side.  Well, I finally finished getting the carbs on and
        sync'ing them them about 10 sunday night.

        Accomplished:
                put seat belts in - although I think I put them in backwards

                two carbs rebuilt - on one the piston would not even
                                    move up and down!

                new exxhaust system - I blew a mouse nest out of the
                                      old exhaust when I left the sellers
                                      house.  The new system is a stainless
                                      DICK AMES system made by Falcon
                                      Exhausts, Derbyshire.  DICK AMES seems
                                      real good, the system not over priced,
                                      good fit, lifetime guarantee. On my
                                      limited experience I'd recommend it.

                new plugs - two were semi rusted, took impact wrench to get
                            them out.

                set timing - timing was set at twenty degrees before TDC
                             After looking all over for the timing marks,
                             they are center of the crank at the bottom of
                             the engine, and looking for the nut to loosten
                             the distributor, it's a neat screw with locknut
                             arrangement, not unlike the rocker adjustments
                             on a TR6, which rotates the distributor when you
                             turn the screw, I set the timing to twelve
                             degrees before TDC.  I don't like the timing
                             mark position, is there an easy way to see this
                             with the bonnet open?

        To Do:
                *  rebuild two more carbs
                *  put new brake pads on the front
                *  change all fluids
                *  put new rubber where ever it exists
                *  check valve clearance
                *  replace highbeam dip switch

            I really love this car.  I can't find any serious rust on
        the car, nothing even more than cosmetic.  The engine seems
        really smooth.  The handling feels so much lighter than I thought
        it would, effortless may be a better word, the car just goes where
        you point it.
            The night I picked up the car I was taking a friend for a ride
        when the headlights went out, I started to laugh and told him the
        lucas/warm beer joke but I don't think he saw the humor in it.  The
        previous owner said oh yea check that high beam switch.  I REALLY
        want a tach in the car, well one that works accurately, the previous
        owner's husband  installed an allison ignition system and the tach
        doesn't seem to always know where it should be.

            Well the real reason for the post is to ask for help.

        How can I make this tach work?  Does anyone out there have experience
        with allison ignitions/electric tach's?

        One thing the previous owner's husband said is that the oil
        light will come on when the car's hot and stopped ie traffic light.
        The owners manual gives a pressure to maintain at 3000RPM
        (40 I think) which isn't a problem, but what about at idle, are
        other jags the same?

        How much noise should the valve train make?  It's not what I would
        consider noisy, but I can hear it?  How difficult is this adjustment?

        What are good sources of info/parts/clubs?  I order some stuff from
        a place called special intrest cars I think and had fast friendly
        service.  Does anyone have a good dealer/bad dealer list?

        Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any help.