Re: my new 73 jag

To: british-cars%alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re: my new 73 jag
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!chrisp%mrloog.wr.tek.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 21 Mar 90 13:17:20 PST (Wed)
>           Well I finally picked up the jag I had been looking at.  I
>       queried this list a couple months ago.  It's a 1973 XKE series III
>       roadster.  I went and picked it up two and a half weeks ago.
>       The deal I was able to work out was $24K.

Can you say "green with envy? Sure you can!"  If it is in good condition,
like it sounds, WOW.

>       really smooth.  The handling feels so much lighter than I thought
>       it would, effortless may be a better word, the car just goes where
>       you point it.

Could it be the "power assist?".  The suspension still retained many of the
ideas of the early E-Type suspensions, and is pretty good.

>       One thing the previous owner's husband said is that the oil
>       light will come on when the car's hot and stopped ie traffic light.
>       The owners manual gives a pressure to maintain at 3000RPM
>        (40 I think) which isn't a problem, but what about at idle, are
>       other jags the same?

Check the sending unit or replace it.  If it is good, perhaps the bearing
are shot.  But I doubt it (how many miles are on the engine ?).

>       How much noise should the valve train make?  It's not what I would
>       consider noisy, but I can hear it?  How difficult is this adjustment?

There should not be too much noise.  Take the cam covers off and check the
clearances.  They might not have been checked in a long while...

Best of luck on owning a wonderful motorcar.

 Christopher M. Perez           # chrisp@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM
 "I sat at the wheel like a cave man who'd just discovered a vending
  machine in the forest.  Too many choices, a dim brain and no spare
  change."       _Model A Oddyssey_ by Peter Egan (3/'88 R&T)