Re: Carbs for Roadster

To: alliant!alliant.Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: Re: Carbs for Roadster
From: sgi!chromavac.csd.sgi.com!miq@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 10:18:25 PST
Well here's my expuriusnace:

Street car: '61 Bugeye w/ 1275 ribcase, LCB header, front disk brakes, weber
45DCOE, stock other stuff.

Auto-X car: '62 Sprite w/ bugeye bonnet every go fast thing except for
straight cut gears and urethane bushings ("does it have..." "yep, it's in
there") it has Hufaker (huffaker? hufakker? huffakker? hhuuffaakkeerr?) SU
styled H6's that are VERY tuned.

The street car originally has h2's, but they needed a rebuild and I wanted
more power (more, More, MORE!  give me more!) so I was debating between
h4's and the Weber.  I chose the weber because the manifold that Mini
Mania had at the time for the weber was much cleaner and smoother.  Also I
know how to tweak Weber's from past vehicles, SU's are a new thing to me.
I like the Webers.  They have a nice clean throaty sound (well the spiffy
exhaust system helps) and with the new urethan nuts on the jet screws,
they seem to hold their tune pretty good.  The Webers also add a bit more
power than the smaller SU's do, but they aren't genyouwine BMC parts and
some folks might not like 'em.

They are purty tho....

BTW, the Auto-X car runs in DP, if you went to Laguna Seca last weekend for the
capri club school, you might have seen it.  It's guard red, and had steam pour-
ing out from under the hood when the radiator cap poped off, then had blue
smokecome out of the exhaust when the head gasket blew around lunch
time....sigh.
But if it hadn't had problems, then it wouldn't be british now would it.

"What is the greatest joy?"
        "The joy of duty!"
Miq Millman -- miq@sgi.com or {decwrl,pyramid,ucbvax}!sgi!miq
415 960 1980 x1041 work