Re: Carbs for Roadster

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Carbs for Roadster
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 90 11:38:10 EDT
A lot of people have had trouble tuning the triple Weber conversion
for the six cylinder Jags.  I mean things like choosing the right chokes
and needles.  The ones included with the kit are definitely in-correct.
I'm positive that the Weber's can be made to work, Bill Terry runs them
in his vintage racer, and tears up the track.  Its just that you probably
have to really understand the theory to get it set up right.

Good luck finding a "rust bucket" E-type to steal the triple carb setup
from.  Everyone knows the value of the triple carb setup, and any parts
car that still has them will be worth exactly that much more.  Also, be
aware that the triple carb manifold was changed when the engine went from
3.8 to 4.2, and that the 4.2 triples are a much cleaner installation on
a 4.2 engine.  You can use the 3.8's, but you end up blocking off a couple
of water hoses, and have to fabricate one section of linkage.  You should
be able to purchase a 3.8 setup for far less than a 4.2, though.

Don't dispair though, a friend of mine tells me that you can still get
triple carb setups for around $750 if you search the parts for sale ads
of Hemmings diligently enough.  I've very rarely seen anything in Hemmings
that seems like an extraordinary deal, so I assume that the going rate
for triple carb's from private parties is somewhere in that range.  The
hard part of course is finding a private party that has triples to sell.

                                                        Joe