Re: Carbs for Roadster

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Carbs for Roadster
From: mit-eddie!harvard!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!timke@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu Mar 22 12:38:16 1990
ok, all this talk of weber vs.  su has prompted me to pose a question
now that i hadn't really planned on needing to deal with until fall.
it's essentially the same question, but for a different car.

i have a '68 e-type jag (that's a series 1 1/2 for those keeping track
of such things).  '68 was the year that jag switched the e-type from
triple su's to double zenith strombergs with pollution crap.  the
strombergs are in good enough shape to get me through the summer (hate
to tear apart a roadster in the summer :-), but come winter i'm gonna
tear the whole car apart and start mondo-resto on it.  i figured it
would be a waste to rebuild the weenie carbs and put them on a rebuilt
engine.  i mean, given all the work involved, i might as well retrofit
the triple su's that were meant to be on the car since the beginning,
right?

so that was my original thought, get a used triple su setup and
rebuild 'em.  but then i started pricing them :-(.  what i've seen so
far is that i can get a used set of 3 su's and manifold from xk's
unlimited for $1500 (ouch), which is approximately the same price as a
NEW set of triple webers with manifold.  so i started thinking, more
power, less work, same price, hmmmm, those webers are looking better
all the time.  i know they're not exactly stock, but they're not an
abomination like putting a v8 in the car or something.  a devious
thought on how to get the su's a little cheaper: buy an old rust
bucket e-type with the triple su's, swap the carbs, and sell the rust
bucket with my strombergs.  would i burn in hell for that?

so, has anybody out there done a similar mod to a emission-choked
e-type?  has anybody seen price data that seriously conflicts (higher
or lower) with what i've seen?  i'm now seated squarely on the fence
and have about 6 months to fall off one side or the other.  i know
this group is just bursting with opinions; fire at will.

Tim "driving the '74 valiant while working on the jag" Keane

-- insert random cute quote here --